Thursday, June 02, 2005

Go NASCAR

I'd like to second this writers commentary on NASCAR. Although I don't understand why it would be "corney or redneckish" to display your patriotism. The left has really done a number on this country when a man or woman feels the have to be embarrassed by their respect and love of their country.

tonyh

Yahoo! Sports - NASCAR - Trading Paint: Jumping on Junior: "I watched the race this weekend on TV as I usually do. Every weekend no matter if it is a holiday or not, they televise the invocation, National Anthem and any other special honors, such as they did with Taps this weekend for Memorial Day. Is there any special reason that NASCAR does this and not any of the other televised sports? Being prior military and married to an active duty serviceman, honestly, it is one of the reasons I am such a big fan of NASCAR and as happy to watch it on TV as watching it live. I think it's awesome that NASCAR supports the troops as visually as they do. I'm just wondering if there was any special reason other than their love of this country.

Rebecca Sherman
Edwards AFB, Calif.

I have to give credit to NASCAR for the things you mention, Rebecca. It helps give fans some patriotic spirit. Plus, with NASCAR's heavy involvement with the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and National Guard as sponsors � and the fact so many of our enlisted men and women also are NASCAR fans � it's a no-brainer to show support to those who are protecting our liberties. The NFL, Major League Baseball, NBA and NHL � even the PGA � could take a few lessons from NASCAR's patriotism. It may seem kind of corny or redneck-ish, but I'll take that any day. "

No comments: