Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Hooray! for France? Did I say that?

Dutch Voters Reject EU Constitution - Yahoo! News: "AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Dutch voters overwhelmingly rejected the European Union constitution Wednesday, delivering what could be a knockout blow for the charter roundly defeated just days ago by France. "

You rarely see me say anything positive about France. Their recent history has been pretty shady in my opinion. Americans are always quick to point out that, "they'd be speaking German if it wasn't for us." But we seem to forget that we may very well still be an English colony without the help of France. I do have to tip my hat to the French and Dutch for their rejection of this EU constitution. I think it bodes well for the US down the road as well.

Just as soon as an EU constitution is ratified the UN will be after a worldwide version of the same. In the US that would mean subjugating our constitutional principles to that of the rest of the world. I just don’t see how that can help us out in any way. The rest of the world needs to stay out of the business of governing the US.

Recently a Supreme Court justice referenced world opinion in one of his rulings. That sent a chill up my spine. Imagine what would happen to the Bill of Rights if it had to be interpreted in light of world opinion. Sovereign countries need to govern themselves. The rest of the world kind of needs to stay out of it.

Good job France! Good job Netherlands!

Tonyh

No comments: